Saturday 1 August 2009

Finally! Just been to the post box...

I'm relieved to have finally sent off the papers for registering as a company limited by guarantee (a charitable company), which is the first step to being a registered charity.

I had the papers almost ready months ago, when I handed them over to Shirley, one of our trustees as I was leaving the country to go to Senegal for the three-month assessment in March. But form-filling is no easy task, necessitating many phone calls to Companies House, so they hung around for a while.

After meeting each of the trustees this week, each on a different day, I have got all the signatures needed. I spent this afternoon checking through the Memorandum & Articles and printed them out.

Fingers crossed I haven't made any mistakes and we should have our registered company number in ten days. The next stage after that will be to post the papers to the Co-operative to open a bank account with them in the name of Abene Karantaa. For that I need the company registration number. I've got a few cheques to put in when we get the bank account.

I've also made some updates to the website - have you seen the new gallery of photos and the slightly revised new look? Check out www.abenekarantaa.org.

I'm also working on putting together a book of the blog from my 3-month trip to Abene, including lots of photos, an introduction from trustee Rachel Coleshill and Foreword from trustee and journalist Desmond Davies. Desmond is also very kindly editing it for me. Hopefully he'll have time this weekend as I know he is quite busy during the week.

A complimentary copy of the book will be given to donors who give £500 or more. I hope to have it published within the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment